As Life Rolls On

As a friend of mine always says, "We plan, God laughs." You never know what life will bring, but the ride can be a blast!

Monday, January 22, 2007

The "CALL"

This is my youngest, my "baby" Jason with his wonderful fiance. He is a full time student at the University of Toronto and graduates this spring. As he was growing up, his teachers labelled him the class "peacemaker" or class "mediator". Although very "popular", he has always been known to stick up for and intervene on behalf of the underdog. Some telling incidents of the man he would become include the time at camp (Jason was 13) when one boy in the cabin was being austricized by the others. Jason stepped forward and took the other boy under his wing and befriended him even after being told by his friends he would no longer be welcome to hang out with them if he did (these were "friends" he had year round). It's interesting that some of these same friends talk about the courage Jason had in taking the stand he did. Then there was the time in high school where Jason saw a younger, smaller boy being bullied in the cafeteria. Jason got up from his spot, walked over and intervened. The boy being bullied was not bothered again. He has become a man of great integrity and principle and we are very proud of him.

When he was 16, Jason began talking about joining the military reserves, but as his mother I was able to have some say as to if that should happen at that time. Whew.......I was able to keep him safe for a bit. When he was 20 however, it was a different story. As a mature, responsible young man who has always made wise decisions, Jason decided it was time to follow through with joining the reserves. His first round of training was last summer. He excelled, graduating 2nd in his class, and was given extra responsibilities in leadership. He was also greatly respected by the others for the moral and ethical stand he took. He has continued on with further training and courses on the weekends.

Since he joined the reserves, I have fretted and worried about the chances of him being called up to active duty in Afghanistan.......................Well that "CALL" came. Jason phoned me on Saturday to tell me his name is on a list of reservists to do further training starting next September and that he will be shipping out to Afghanistan for 6 months after that. I think that he was not surprised by my reaction on the one hand, yet was surprised on the other. I was not happy and I was and am frightened to death with what he was telling me, what mother wouldn't be! I did not however cry, or yell or try to find ways he could try to get out of it. He is a man now who is about to be married and move forward with his life. He is the one who needs to work through this with Alyson's support. As I stated, he is a man of great integrity and principle, and that is something I would never ask that he comprimise.

I am glad that Jason did not wait to tell me this news. It's going to take me alot of time to come to grips with it. I have always felt that if something were to ever happen to my husband Bruce, I would be devestated, but I would survive. My children on the other hand, I don't think I could survive if anything were to happen to one of the three of them. I will pray daily for wisdom and discernment for Jason as he begins this venture. I will pray daily that God give him patience and courage to deal with all he will be confronted with. I will pray daily for he and Alyson as they begin their marriage amidst some trying circumstances. I will continually thank God for the kind of man he has become. I will pray ongoing that God will keep him safe.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Evie said…

    I'll be praying for all of you.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Wanda said…

    God promises protection in Psalm 91. I have leaned on God and that prayer many, many times, he has never let me down. I pray that prayer over my children many times, and especially these past few months. I pray for God to give you the measure of assurance that he is in control but that he will protect Jason.

     
  • At 1:01 AM, Blogger Stephen said…

    I am so proud of Jason! He's an amazing kid - I mean, man! Alyson, we will be keeping you in our prayers. THis is such an incredibly selfless act he is doing - to bring hope, dignity and stablility to a people who have never known such things!
    God bless you Jason!!!!

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Oh, man! That sucks!

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Dave said…

    Having an upright loving character is to be honored and valued. Such individuals stand out from the crowd. They naturally think of others, cry out again injustice and wrong....and are willing to give of themselves sacrificially for the sake of others. I am encouraged to come across such young people like Jason.

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Catharine said…

    Living up to one's convictions is never an easy thing to do. Way to go, Jason. You will be a constant in our thoughts and in our prayers. It is a part of the world that is not an easy place to live in, even for a short time; but we know that God will be with you in your new adventure.

    Joanne and Bruce, you will be in our thoughts anad prayers, too, as you provide on-going parental support. Alyson - dito for the support, expecially being a new wife. Our home is always open to you. It takes a lot of courage for parents and wives to support their loved ones as they go off to war-like situations.

    You rock Jason!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home