As Life Rolls On

As a friend of mine always says, "We plan, God laughs." You never know what life will bring, but the ride can be a blast!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Can't Win for Losing Sometimes

So after spending 8 months arguing with the University of Calgary Psych Department around allowing me to work with one of their professors to complete my final piece of research I need to do to be able to apply for a Masters Program, and getting absolutly no where, I finally called my undergrad advisor at York to seek advise. What was interesting about the whole process was that the UofC was willing to have me take the course as a visiting student, and to provide a research supervisor, but the psych department would not. I COULDN'T WIN FOR LOSING.

Within a matter of weeks, York University has assisted me in finding not just 1 supervisor, but 2 (both from York, both willing to supervise long distance so that I can get this done). I am starting 2 pieces of research that will benefit the programs at work as well. It was amazing that they were willing and eager to do this, as it is such an unusual situation. The profs both said they had a look at my records and my marks, and felt I had worked to long & hard for them to throw more road blocks in my way. Great, some success! I was feeling GREAT!

So I finally got that straightened away, and I went to enroll and pay my tuition fees. GUESS WHAT, the registrars office at York has de enrolled me because I didn't take a course over the past 2 semesters. AHHHH..........I CAN'T WIN FOR LOSING. So............I have to go through the whole process of submitting an application to re enroll. This can take 3 to 4 weeks. AHHHH........ I say again!

BUT

I received a phone call from one of the professors today. I find out she is the head of the Psych Department at Atkinson College (college for mature students..............YES I AM MATURE!). She is aware of what has happenned and stated that she will intervene if there are any difficulties with getting re enrolled. This is GOOD! She is also willing to start working now on the study I want to do, she does not see the need to wait for me to get officially registered................BONUS! We've set up times to have telephone conferences and have set up strategies on how I will send her updates on my work (OH NO, now I can't procrastinate and do it all at the last minute as I usually do). The other bonus is that she is very interested in a project that we are working on here in Calgary and is willing to provide us with some support and potential partner with us around doing some community research..........DOUBLE BONUS!

So the moral of the story.................When you think you can't win for losing, don't give up, the glass is always half full, and there are always creative and inovative ways to find solutions!

10 Comments:

  • At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow...I'm glad you're going through all this first, that way when I have to do my masters in psych I'll know exactly who to run to when I'm dealing with the oh-so-fabulousness of the university system!!! But I'm really looking forward to hearing about how your research goes, so make sure you keep me updated!

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger Evie said…

    Ah, the world of higher education. One of my grad school friends declared that the primary requirement for completing a graduate degree is staying power! There's a lot of truth to that. You've got the brain power - most of what you need to do now is show the muckety-mucks in charge that you've got the will to finish what you've started. You'll get there.

    P.S. - my advisor used to sing an amazing parody of Frank Sinatra's signature song about how one gets a doctorate: I did it their way!

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Daejeon James said…

    Its not ALWAYS half full mother...just sometimes.

    But I am proud of your determination!

    PEACE

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Barbara said…

    You've come a long way Baby! Too far to let anything stand in your way. Way to go for sticking to it and for your determination to see this through. It will definately be worth it when you reach the finish line ... although with you, I don't see you ever finishing as you will just continue onto something else. I admire your drive!

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    alright! so how many years until you have that peice of paper hanging on the wall??

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Joanne said…

    never, I'm not stopping.........actually, I could have had the first one several years ago, but I chose to keep going. I will have a full Honours as of next spring.

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Catharine said…

    I'm glad that there is finally sun shining through. All the best with the studies. Getting a Masters sure is tempting...!

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Dave said…

    In my more skeptical moments I claim that bureaucracies do not make decisions. They design forms and processes. The recognized that the prescribed forms have been completed in the properly in the appropriate order and that the formulas all add up. Decision making and common sense escapes the system as it is a concept beyond their grasp. Unfortunately there is too much truth when dealing with government agencies, institutions of higher education and other large organizations like the Army. Fortunately, once in a while one finds a person who is within the system who is willing to put a human face to matters and who understands that the processes sometimes hinder the goals which the system seeks to support.

    I am please that you have found the human face at a couple of points that have helped move matters along.

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger Dave said…

    You mentioned you were trying to learn how to put links on your blog. This may be of aid.


    1. On your Dashboard click on “template”

    2. There you will see a range of codes – scroll down toward the bottom third and watch for (note I have had to remove the back and forward arrows to get this posted…the arrows have been replaced by +. Use the model on google news to see which arrow goes where
    +MainOrArchivePage+
    +h2 class="sidebar-title"+Links+/h2+
    +ul+
    +li++a href=http://news.google.com/+Google News+/a++/li+


    3. You will also see the edit me listed as well.

    4. after the http:// is where you insert the link address. Make sure you have the “/” before the quotation mark, and keep the quotation mark. Between the arrows is where you place the name you are calling the link. Make sure you still have the “/a++/li+” at the end.

    5. I have copied and pasted the
    +li++a href=http://news.google.com/+Google News+/a++/li+
    so that I still have the model before me in case I make a mistake. Only change “news.google.com” and “Google News”….keep all the codes.


    6. When you are done, you go through the same update and view processes as you do for your blog postings.

    I hope that this helps you.

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger PharmacyChick said…

    HI Aunt Joanne!
    Mom gave me the link to your blog, so I hope you don't mind my comments.
    I'm glad to see that you have your university situation figured out. And I have to add, if you didn't have to jump through hoops, then you wouldn't truly be a university student!!!
    It just comes with the territory I think. haha. At least you are resourceful and can find a way! So good for you.
    Anyway I have a blog now too, so feel free to check it out. It's a neat way for family to keep in touch.

    I hope you and Uncle Bruce are doing well in Okotoks. Hopefully we will get to see you guys again this Christmas.

    Take care,

    Robyn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home